Chipotle Copycat Chorizo
I’ve been dying to share this recipe with you! It’s like, the easiest thing ever. (We all like easy, right?) And SOOO tasty.
I made this chorizo twice in one week last month, and it’s going to be one of my Whole30 staples this round — if my kids don’t scarf all of it. I barely had leftovers when I made this for dinner.
Speaking of Whole30, how many of you are doing a round this month? If you subscribe to my newsletter, did you see the two weeks worth of Whole30 meal plans I sent in December’s email? I included shopping lists and weekend prep tips, too!
If you didn’t subscribe in time, I’ll be resending those in January’s newsletter in a couple of weeks. You can subscribe here: Perry’s Plate Newsletter Subscription. Don’t miss them!
Anyway, back to chorizo….
One thing I love about Chipotle is that it’s one of the few restaurants where you can order Whole30 compliant meals. Have you tried their new pork-chicken chorizo? Its GOOOOD.
I decided to whip up my own version of it — partly because I can’t resist putting together a new spice blend.
Meet my newest friend, chorizo seasoning. It has three different kinds of paprika along with a bunch of other seasonings that give it a peppery, southwest punch.
The addition of ground chicken lightens up the pork and makes it less greasy. If you can’t find ground chicken, just use ground turkey.
Keep a jar of that spice blend in your cabinet and you’ll go from zero to chorizo in about 15 minutes. It’s paleo, Whole30 compliant, and you can make a big batch at the beginning of the week and use it for wraps, scrambles, omelets, clean-out-the-fridge bowls, and salads.
I could eat salads like this everyday. Especially with a big drizzle of Paleo Ranch Dressing.
Chipotle Copycat Chorizo
Yield: Serves 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: About 30 minutes
Here’s a super easy homemade version of Chipotle’s newest pork-chicken chorizo! You can use ground chicken or ground turkey — whichever is easier to find. I like to keep the seasoning in a little jar in my cupboard so I can whip this up fast!
For the chorizo seasoning:
- 2 Tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
For making the chorizo:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Combine the ingredients for the chorizo seasoning in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground pork and chicken to the pan, breaking the meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of chorizo seasoning to the skillet. Work the spices gently into the meat and cook for 12-15 minutes until the meat has formed brown crusted spots on much of the meat.
- Add the red wine vinegar to the skillet and toss to combine. Taste, and add a bit more salt if you think it’s necessary.
- This chorizo is so versatile! Make a big batch at the beginning of the week and use it in scrambles, hashes, salads, and wraps all week long.
From Perry’s Plate. Inspired by Chipotle Restaurant