Paleo Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
This Paleo Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup is another family favorite that I updated, paleo-ized, and took for a spin in my pressure cooker.
The original stovetop Hearty Cheeseburger Soup isn’t too different from this one if you’d rather do it on the stove.
This soup has all of my favorite flavors of a cheeseburger without the heavy feeling I get after I eat a hamburger bun. You might cock an eyebrow at the pickle juice in the ingredient list. I promise the soup doesn’t taste overly pickly. It adds a nice brightness to the soup that helps the rest of the flavors stand out.
I promise it’s good. (Even to my pickle-hating kid.)
AND it freezes well!
In the mood for another cheeseburger-related dinner? Try a Bacon Cheeseburger Salad!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14-oz cans beef broth
- 2 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 1 15 1/2-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- Toppings such as pickles, onions, mustard and/or ketchup
- Turn your Instant Pot to the high Saute setting. Add the beef to the pot and cook, breaking it into small bits, until the beef is cooked through and begins to form crispy edges. Drain any excess fat, if necessary.
- Add the onion and celery. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes until vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the broth, potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, pickle juice, Dijon, coconut aminos, and almond milk. Stir well.
- Close the lid and the steam valve. Set the cooker to high pressure (manual) for 5 minutes. Let the cooker release steam naturally for 10 minutes (to avoid splattering) before releasing the rest of the pressure manually.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast. (Or cheese, if using -- see note.)
- Serve with desired toppings.