The Morning Smoothie (for people who hate green smoothies)

The Morning Smoothie - for people who hate green smoothies.

Out of the Perrys in our household, I’m the last to embrace the green smoothie. After making these for a couple of years now, my husband never gave up on me and managed to find a concoction that I like.

That’s love.

Calling this smoothie a “green” smoothie is a stretch because it isn’t even green, but it has spinach in it. So it’s a green smoothie to me.

The Morning Smoothie - for people who hate green smoothies.

I was never fond of blending a bunch of fruits and vegetable together and drinking it.

*shudder*

Steve used to get more adventurous, adding leftover salad greens, bell peppers, fresh lemon, ginger and whatever else was in the fridge to his smoothies. The kids ate it (sometimes), but I always made a face when he offered me some.

Here’s the magical combination of ingredients that finally made me like green smoothies. (Well, this one anyway.) Frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, carrots, spinach, and pomegranate juice.

The strawberries and carrots add quite a bit of sweetness so I don’t feel the need to add any additional sweeteners. The spinach is a pretty mild green, so there’s no bitterness, and the pomegranate juice (the only fruit juice we buy) adds some sweetness as well as some tartness to bring out the flavors in the berries.

It just works.

The Morning Smoothie - for people who hate green smoothies.

Using an immersion blender for this is so great. I figured out when I made the Mango-Berry Swirled Smoothies that my immersion blender fits in a wide-mouth quart-sized mason jar. We usually use an ugly plastic cup, but I grabbed a mason jar this time. They’re much easier on the eyes. Plus, it was easier to show you what’s going on inside.

The Morning Smoothie - for people who hate green smoothies.

One batch of this will feed one adult and both of my kids. If Steve and I are both home in the morning, we’ll make a little more. My kids like to eat it with a spoon because it’s icy and thick — kind of like they’re eating sorbet for breakfast. I’m all about desserts for breakfast that aren’t really desserts.

Print Print Save Save

The Morning Smoothie

Yield: about 3 cups

Total Time: 5-10 minutes

Ingredients:

3-4 frozen strawberries
about 1 cup frozen blueberries
1 large carrot, cut into 3-4 pieces
a couple handfuls of fresh baby spinach
about 1 cup 100% pomegranate juice (like POM)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a large plastic cup or a wide-mouth quart-size mason jar. Blend with an immersion blender, adding more juice or water, if you find it's too thick.

Nat's Notes:
1. If you don't have an immersion blender, go buy one. You'll love it. You can also use a regular blender for this, but you'll end up using a lot more liquid to get it to blend (unless your berries aren't frozen).
2. Feel free to play with the fruits and vegetables in this. You can also add coconut milk (which is fantastic, by the way) or protein powder.
3. My husband likes adding fresh ginger and some fresh lemon juice to his. I'm not digging that yet. I also don't add any sweetener because I find the strawberries and carrot add plenty of sweetness.

from Perry's Plate (my husband, Steve)

31 Responses to “The Morning Smoothie (for people who hate green smoothies)”

Blog is the New Black — March 16, 2012 @ 4:01 am

I adore green smoothies and this one looks perfect! :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 16, 2012 @ 5:18 am

I like green smoothies but I would also like this! Yum!

Cookbook Queen — March 16, 2012 @ 6:16 am

#1 Immersion blender. Why do I not have one of these marvelous inventions yet? Seriously, I am a grown up. I need to buy the dang thing already.

#2 I don’t like green smoothies either…which makes me excited to try this!!!!

• Natalie replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 7:41 am

Girl, get yourself over to Kohl’s. The last time I was there, they had immersion blenders in about a half dozen colors! I was so tempted to get a hot pink one…. even though I already have one that works just fine. :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 16, 2012 @ 6:27 am

Love the jars!! Such a great idea and I love whenever I don’t have to lug out the blender!

April H — March 16, 2012 @ 6:32 am

I will most definitely be trying this out on my kids!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — March 16, 2012 @ 7:44 am

I detest the idea of the “green” colored smoothy…something about images of soilent green. *shudder* But this beauty, chock full of fruits too? Now this is a smoothie I can get behind.

• Natalie replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 11:22 am

I’m glad I’m not the only ones! Even the vibrant, pretty green smoothies aren’t too appealing to me. Maybe I’m not quite “evolved” yet. lol.

Joanne — March 16, 2012 @ 11:18 am

I’ll be honest, I haven’t really jumped on the green smoothie bandwagon either…but I have a feeling this could be the one that wins me over also. Who wouldn’t love all those berries mixed together!

• Natalie replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Yep. The berries saved this one. And the color from the blueberries makes it so much better on the eyes!

Jessica C — March 16, 2012 @ 11:32 am

You may have just changed my life. I would never have thought an immersion blender could work on carrots or frozen strawberries! I make a green smoothie almost every morning and one of the things I dislike about it is having to wash the blender and all its parts every day. If my immersion blender will do it, I can make the smoothie right in the cup that I bring it to work in every day! Thank you!!!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — March 16, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

Yum! I’m a huge smoothie fan – especially green smoothies, so this really appeals to me :D I am loving your tip to use an immersion blender too. My only blender is a magic bullet but now that I know I can use my immersion blender I can make bigger smoothies! Yay!!

Kruti — March 18, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

You’re the reason I purchased an immersion blender a few months ago! I can’t thank you enough! Making smoothies is a breeze. If I’m making these for breakfast, I use almond milk & add some oatmeal (usually leftover) to make it a little more hearty.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — March 19, 2012 @ 5:29 am

I love green smoothies (because I “hide” the spinach with bananas) but have never actually tried raw carrot in my smoothie. I kinda feel like I should be ashamed of myself.

Karly — March 19, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Hmm, I might give this one a try. I’ve never tried adding carrots to a smoothie before. Very interesting!

Meg — March 19, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Love the jars and the recipe! I am a green juice fan but my Handsome Prince wouldn’t touch the stuff with a ten foot pole. He like the healthy practice but can’t bring himself to drink something that’s green. I’m going to have to give this one a shot! Thank you!

lauren @ wholewheatorbust — March 20, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Hahaha I am the same way about greens in the mornings – but I bet I could get this down Easyy! Thanks for the recipe!

Jaclyn Krueger — March 20, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

Totally into smoothies for breakfast, unless I just eat the whole fruit, which in all honesty is much better for us but variety is good. However, unless it is apple I’ve never added fruit to green smoothies ’cause if you’re into balancing your akaline/acidic pH you NEVER want to mix fruit with veggies and fruit should always, always be eaten in the morning to break your fast (breakfast), or waiting at least an hour after a meal for injesting fruit. However, I may just try this and see how it tastes. Use a Bullet – works just as well, if not better and has its own containers that sort look like qt. jars…Visit the “Alkaline Sisters” web site for more info on wonderful green smoothies…I’ve tried most of them and they are delish! Here’s to your health!

Kathryn — March 20, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

oh my gosh! why hadn’t I thought of using an immersion blender?? We make kale smoothies a lot around here, and I’m always lugging out and washing my blender parts. I was a little hesitant to eat green smoothies as well, but adding some sweet fruit and some plain yogurt gives it the sweetness and creamy-ness I need :) and my kids love them! I need to try adding carrot, since my kids won’t eat them any way, anyhow.

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — March 21, 2012 @ 1:08 am

I can’t get a totally green drink down in the morning. If I don’t have fruit in there to cover up the green, I’m wasting my time. :) This looks really good!

18. Pingback: Smoothie: Fruit and Veggies | Flotsam and Jetsam

19. Pingback: week 12 |

20. Pingback: Perry's Plate: Progressively Paleo Recipes » Week in Instagram

21. Pingback: Perry's Plate: Progressively Paleo Recipes » Week in Instagram

Sarah @ SimpleSaurus — April 23, 2013 @ 7:21 am

I’ve had terrible luck with blenders in general. I really want to try the immersion blender but don’t want to end up with another crappy blender like our bigger ones. Do you have a recommendation on a good one that will blend carrots, etc but won’t break the bank? ;) Love your blog!! :)

• Natalie Perry replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

Hi Sarah! My ultimate recommendation would be to invest in a Blendtec or a Vita-mix. We got a Blendtec last summer and I haven’t regretted it it once. As far as immersion blenders, the one I have is 10 years old and isn’t made anymore. (Made by Braun) I hear the Cuisinart ones are good, though. They run around $40 on amazon. It takes some patience to blend through a carrot, but if we didn’t have a Blendtec we would still do our smoothies that way! Good luck and thanks!!

Jo Westwood — May 20, 2013 @ 2:48 am

Thanks for this blog – I also detest the thought of green smoothies. I’m only just converted to salad (in my own fashion – can’t do leaves yet!) But I really want to get on this healthy shot of energy train that smoothie drinkers wax lyrical about! Will definitely try this one out!

paleo diet smoothies — January 27, 2014 @ 8:29 am

Ó€ncredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.

Ann C. — March 18, 2014 @ 3:16 pm

I love this idea but my blender won’t fit in my mason jars! What size do you have?

26. Pingback: Perry's Plate: Progressively Paleo Recipes A Green Smoothie (that actually tastes good) » Perry's Plate: Progressively Paleo Recipes

Sara b — July 14, 2014 @ 9:09 pm

What is the texture of this smoothie? I currently use my food processor to blend my green smoothies, but the texture is always gritty and chinky, not smooth. I’d like to know if an immersion blender would make a smooth smoothie. Thanks.