This salad is everything I love about guacamole all wrapped up in an easy chicken salad.
This guacamole chicken salad was a very happy accident.
Well, not entirely. I was trying to make a salad (and not, say… trying to paint my nails.)
The fact that the chicken was smothered in deconstructed guacamole was an accident. I wanted to make a chicken salad-type thing for lunch and started adding things. Then a lone avocado on the counter was staring me in the face as if to say, “Well, you put lime, cilantro, and onions in there. Were you planning on including me, too?”
Um, yes. I was absolutely planning on doing that.
The fact that both of my kids begged me to make it again tells you how great this was. They ate theirs in pita halves, and I put mine over a bed of Romaine lettuce. I only wish I had more leftover chicken!
If you like this, you might my other favorite chicken salad recipe! Easy Rotisserie Chicken and Apple Salad.
If you make one of my recipes, be sure to post it on social media and tag me at @perrysplate or #perrysplate so I can send you some love!
- 2 cups leftover cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1/3 cup paleo-friendly mayonnaise
- 2-3 T salsa verde (optional)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (optional)
- 1/2 an avocado, diced
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- generous pinches of salt and ground cumin
- In a medium bowl combine the chicken, mayo, salsa verde, onion, cilantro, and Cotija cheese (if using). Mix thoroughly. Gently fold in the avocado.
- Add the lime juice, salt, and cumin and stir again gently. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve wrapped in lettuce or over chopped salad greens. Or by itself.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made by using these links won’t cost you any extra and helps keep my content free. These links may be Amazon links as I am part of the Amazon Associate Program.