Do you get into lunchtime ruts, too? Actually I know you do because I get asked a lot what I eat for lunch, and most of the time my answers aren’t super inspiring. But I’ve got an inspiring idea for you today, friends — 5-Minute Cheesy Zucchetti Bowl and a review of a gorgeous cookbook.
I think lunchtime is hard because it interrupts the flow of the day. Or maybe just my day? Am I the only one who gets annoyed by lunch? I tell my husband all the time that I wished we, as humans, only needed to eat once, maybe twice a day.
Some people can get away with eating two large meals a day, but I’ve got a rather healthy appetite. Blessing/curse, yo.
And don’t even get me started on lunches when all my kids happen to be home. #shortordercook
If I HAVE to eat lunch, I’m totally glad I have this book — Nourishing Superfood Bowls by Lindsay Cotter. Have you been to Lindsay’s blog, Cotter Crunch? Gorgeous, healthy stuff. I love Lindsay’s fresh, approachable take on gluten-free recipes and her photos always dazzle me. And she really loves food puns. She’s my people.
I’ll talk about the zoodle bowl I made in a minute, but I want to tell you more about Lindsay’s book.
Page after page of drool-worthy photos and colorful, creative bowls. Doesn’t this Green Goddess Power Salad look amazing??
I see some fresh figs in there, too. Did I tell you I had fresh figs for the first time last year? (I know, where have I been?)
There’s even a dessert chapter! This is the Creamy Chocolate Streusel Bowl. Yum.
All of Lindsay’s recipes are gluten-free and most of them are dairy-free. I especially love how she includes options for all healthy eating options — paleo/low-carb/vegetarian. There’s something for everyone here!
I was super impressed by this quick little lunch bowl. It came from the Zippy Lunch Bowls chapter — yes, a whole chapter for quick, creative lunches! The “cheese” sauce has a nutritional yeast base with a touch of tomato sauce and comes together super fast.
Grab a copy of Lindsay’s book, Nourishing Superfood Bowls, and you might end up liking lunch again, too.
5-Minute Cheezy Zucchetti Bowl
Lunch doesn't need to be boring. Or time consuming. This 5-Minute Cheesy Zucchetti Bowl is a great way to eat zoodles and is paleo, low-carb, and vegan!
- 2 small zucchinis
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- Pinch of Italian seasoning
- Fresh basil or parsley
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- Spiralize or thinly julienne-cut the zucchini. Place in a bowl and press with a paper towel to remove the excess water. Drain any excess water from the bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the nutritional yeast, almond milk, olive oil, and garlic. Cook in the microwave for 30-45 seconds until warm. Remove and whisk the mixture until well combined. Add the salt, pepper, and tomato sauce, and whisk again.
- Toss the almond milk mixture with the zucchini noodles and add the sliced tomato. Add a sprinkle of Italian seasoning, basil, red pepper flakes and capers. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
1. Lindsay suggests adding chickpeas, chicken or gluten-free sausage to add some protein.
2. I don't have a microwave in my kitchen, so I made the sauce in a small skillet on the stove.
3. I prefer warm zucchini noodles, so I tossed the whole thing into the skillet and warmed it up for a few minutes. If your zucchini is room temperature when you start, you probably don't need to do this.
4. I used a few quartered grape tomatoes and omitted the capers.
Saturday 24th of April 2021
Hi - I am allergic to yeast and can't use it. Do you know of a substitute? Thank you - Jennifer
Monday 10th of May 2021
Does it make a difference that this yeast is deactivated? If not, then I'd suggest using Parmesan cheese if dairy isn't an issue.
Emogene D. Diehl
Monday 25th of June 2018
Hello. Thank you very much for the recipe. Very tasty and useful. And most importantly - quickly. What you need when hungry)
Tuesday 26th of June 2018
Yes! Fast, tasty, and healthy food is the ultimate trifecta.
Sunday 15th of April 2018
Thank you friend! I’m so grateful that you took the time to make this and share with your readers! Such an honor! And can’t wait to see your next baby ?