The Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up

I thought of calling this a CSA Wednesday post, but 99% of the time I use canned pumpkin in recipes instead of fresh. I have a hard time getting the consistency right when I cook it down myself. Plus canned pumpkin is pretty much the bomb. We’ve yet to receive pumpkins in our CSA box, though, but I hear they’re coming!

My husband carved this little guy according to my 2-year-old’s specifications on Monday night. When he was finished he turned it around to her and said, “How does it look?”

Ivy says, “It looks awful.”

That’s not something she would typically say, so after I figured out why, I responded with, “That’s because it’s on you, dear.”

Ivy turned around with a big grin on her face. Mom understood. And Dad’s feelings (hopefully) weren’t hurt.

(Bonus points for who can tell me where that conversation came from!)

On to the food, yes?

Most of my favorite pumpkin recipes are either breakfast or dessert recipes, but I’ve recently added a savory soup to the mix. Did you catch the Pumpkin-Coconut Chowder with Shrimp last week?

I also included a recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice and the most flavorful Toasted Pumpkin Seeds I’ve ever eaten.

Just in time, too. What are your plans for Halloween?

Don’t hate me for saying this, but I’m not much of a Halloween person. I don’t mind dressing up if I have a decent costume, but I’m not into all the parties, creepy treats, and decorations (unless they can double as “fall” decor and I can use them through Thanksgiving).

Party pooper, I know. I do love pumpkin though, so it’s not so bad, right?

Pictured: Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies, Pumpkin Crepes with Gingered Pears, White Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake, Pumpkin-Coconut Chowder with Shrimp.

Breakfast/Brunch
Pumpkin Crepes with Gingered Pears and Spiced Mascarpone

Pumpkin Muffins
Pumpkin Pie Steel-Cut Oats (see variations in this post)

Desserts

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
White Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake
Pumpkin Cake with Butterscotch Filling
Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Rolls
Pumpkin Pie Shakes

Savory (Hopefully this list will grow!)
Pumpkin-Coconut Chowder with Shrimp

Other Tidbits

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

14 Responses to “The Pumpkin Recipe Round-Up”

warmvanillasugar — October 26, 2011 @ 11:16 am

Where to begin?! Everything sounds so lovely. Thanks!

star519 — October 26, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Sleeping Beauty, the Disney cartoon. I loved that movie when I was little and I still like to watch it now and then.

Jessica — October 26, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

Bonus points to YOU for raising a little Sleeping Beauty lover! That's my favorite of all the Disney movies and I recognized the quote right away!

DancingMooney ♥ — October 26, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Oh man you are making me hungry! And I'm so glad to hear that you are perfectly happy to use canned pumpkin in your recipes, because I am way to lazy to do it the hard way!
    ;)

The Three Little Piglets — October 26, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

I'm with you on that one – Halloween is just a pass through to get to Thanksgiving and Christmas in opinion. I decorate with a collection of pretty ceramic pumpkins and swap out my candles for fall colored earth toned ones and call it a day. Unless my kids ask for something, and the I'm totally a sucker…

Cara — October 27, 2011 @ 1:08 am

Great roundup, Natalie! I'm sure you're not surprised to hear that coming from me ;) One thing I will never get sick of? Those pumpkin cheesecake swirl brownies! I think I'm making them this weekend :)

Joanne — October 27, 2011 @ 1:15 am

I'm with you on Halloween…mostly it's just an excuse for girls (not me) to dress as sluttily as possibly and get drunk. Not exactly my kind of fun. I'd much rather just sit at home eating something pumpkin-infused!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie — October 27, 2011 @ 4:15 am

I want to make pumpkin recipes so bad!!! I hope my homework goes smoothly this weekend so I can cook and bake next week!

pinksuedeshoe — October 27, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

Um I am in love with those pumpkin crepes. I am ready to throw all eating plans and schedules to the wind and eat nothing but those for the rest of the year. Wow.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} — October 28, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

I want to try each and every one of these recipes :)

jessgobananas.com — October 28, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

I can't believe you don't like Halloween! Halloween is one of my favorite Holidays mainly because of all of the creative baking! :D

Amber Star — October 29, 2011 @ 12:51 am

About the decorations I put up some for Halloween, but nothing gorey or too creepy. When I was at our local nursery for mums a while back they had the coolest ghost thing and I had to have it.

About your herbs…well, I found out that rosemary truly loves being in the worst part of the garden and really no further action is needed. Mine survived this past summer of 70 100+ degree days. It was awful. The little kids at the elementary school where we vote planted an herb garden by the front walk that is always looking wonderful. I planted lemon balm, sage, and thyme out by the driveway and it is thriving. So, don't despair.

Food Jaunts — October 29, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Oh all of those recipes look gorgeous! I'm especially drawn to the pumpkin cheesecake swirl brownies – yum!

Heather@Women in the Scriptures — October 30, 2011 @ 4:04 am

I love the links for pumpkin for breakfast! I will have to try those. I just wanted to say how nice it was to meet you at the blogger luncheon yesterday and hope that you have a good trip back home