Steve still can’t figure out why I liked this dish, but I still refuse to eat pineapple on pizza. It makes complete sense to me.
Pineapple + tomato sauce = blech
Pineapple + coconut milk + chicken = mmm
- 2 Tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into fat strips
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (If you wish to singe your tastebuds off, then by all means, leave the seeds in.)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon packed coconut sugar or honey
- Hot jasmine or cauliflower rice, for serving
- Sprinkle chicken with curry and salt.
- Heat 1 T oil in a skillet (preferably not non-stick) at med-high heat and add chicken. Brown on both sides and continue to cook until almost done. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to pan and add bell peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add water to pan. Add pineapple; cook 5 minutes or until it begins to brown.
- Add serrano pepper, coconut milk, and brown sugar. Cook for a minute or so to heat through, then add chicken back to skillet. Simmer on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with hot rice.
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens (BHG.com)