Perry’s Plate Homemade Taco Seasoning
I use taco seasoning quite a bit. After looking at the ingredients of store-bought packets and noticing spice combinations of mexican/southwestern dishes that I make, I came up with my own homemade taco seasoning. I like it because it has a lower salt content than most store-bought brands, no fillers, and doesn’t have MSG. (Some brands don’t have this anyway. Nice job!)
If you scan the list of ingredients and think, “What the. . . cocoa?!” I’m not crazy, I promise — cocoa is no stranger to Mexican cooking. It makes the flavors richer, but it doesn’t make your tacos taste like chocolate, I promise. You can use this blend in any recipe that calls for taco seasoning, and it turns out just as good, if not better, than a taco seasoning packet.
Oh, and it’s cheaper this way. I made a big bottle of it for a lot less than spending $1+ per packet. Gotta love frugality.
My favorite part about making spice blends is stirring (or shaking) it all together. My little 4-year-old was sitting next to me, begging to stir up my spices.
Well, OK. The sacrifice of being a mother, right?
This homemade taco seasoning has a pretty devoted fan base. One of my friends says she uses it like its her religion. Another couple of friends have given it away as neighbor gifts for Christmas. Everyone who tries it loves it as much as I do!
Perry's Plate Homemade Taco Seasoning
Making homemade taco seasoning is easy and you probably already have the ingredients in your cupboard. You’ll love the secret ingredient in this version!
To make enough to season roughly 1 pound of ground meat:
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tapioca or arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
To make about 1 cup of seasoning:
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca or arrowroot flour/starch
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Combine all well and store in an airtight container.
- Use 2 Tablespoons of seasoning plus about 1/3-1/2 c water to season about 1 pound of ground meat for tacos. (Depending on how strong and saucy you like it.)
- If you’d like it spicier double the amount of cayenne pepper.
- Feel free to leave out the tapioca/arrowroot. I like it because it thickens the sauce in my taco meat when I add a little water. It’s not necessary though.
from Perry’s Plate