The combination of roasted Brussels sprouts and butternut squash is one of my favorites. And when those bitter-sweet flavors combine with some salty bacon? *swoon*
Do you have any special Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner traditions? If you go traditional, this recipe will rock your table.
The first time I made this, it was before pre-chopped butternut squash and prepped Brussels were mainstream.
In other words, I chose the two most tedious vegetables to prep and put them together. Not ideal when you’re planning a big Thanksgiving dinner, amiright?
Let’s all have a moment of silent gratitude for pre-prepped vegetables at the grocery store that repeatedly save our sanity.
Tips for making roasted Brussels & butternut with bacon
- Don’t crowd the pan. The Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and bacon are all roasted together. Make sure the pan isn’t COMPLETELY full or you’ll end up with steamed, mushy vegetables, and floppy bacon. Ew.
- Speaking of bacon, use thin-cut bacon for this. If you only have thick-cut bacon, make sure to cut it into smaller pieces. You’ll want the vegetables to be caramelized around the same time as the bacon crisps up.
- Don’t use frozen butternut squash or frozen brussels sprouts for this recipe. There will be too much liquid in the pan and everything will be mushy.
- I also don’t recommend using shaved Brussels sprouts for this recipe. They’ll cook too quickly and burn before the bacon is cooked. I wouldn’t quarter the Brussels either. Cutting them in half is the best option.
Ways to adapt this recipe
Swap out the cubed butternut squash for sweet potatoes cut into larger chunks
Swap out the halved Brussels sprouts for cauliflower florets or cabbage wedges.
Swap out the bacon for slices of pre-cooked sausage.
After roasting, try drizzling everything with a little maple syrup or top with some crumbled feta or goat cheese.
During the last few minutes of roasting, add a handful of dried cranberries and some pecans or walnuts!
What to serve with these roasted vegetables
This recipe would be great with just about any roasted or grilled meat dish! It would be great with these recipes specifically, though…
Whole Roast Chicken (or Smoked Chicken!)
Instant Pot Pot Roast with Rosemary Gravy
Creamy Garlic Dill Salmon
Easy Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
Other roasted Brussels sprouts and butternut squash recipes
I combined all of my favorite Brussels sprouts recipes into one post: Favorite Brussels sprouts Recipes
Chai Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
Kale Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples
Easy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables with Feta
Roasted Fall Vegetables with Apples & Gouda
If you make this recipe, be sure to post it to social media and tag me at @perrysplate or #perrysplate so I can send you some love!
- 1 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 of a butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons heat-safe oil (like coconut or avocado)
- generous pinches of sea salt and black pepper
- 6 slices thin-cut bacon
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Put the Brussles sprouts, butternut squash cubes, and sliced bacon on a large rimmed sheet pan. Sprinkle with generous pinches of salt and pepper and drizzle with oil.
Roast 20-25 minutes and should have dark golden spots and the bacon is as done as you like, stirring them around 1-2 times during cooking.
Let the vegetables cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.