This easy skillet meal can be made with Italian chicken sausage or simply ground chicken or ground turkey with some extra seasonings! Add your favorite quick-cooking vegetables for a meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes.
When I cook, I usually destroy the whole kitchen regardless of what I make. I’m not one of those “clean as you go” people.
I blow through the recipe (and my kitchen) as quickly as I can in order to get the food in my face as soon as I can. There are very few things I cook leisurely.
And then I deal with the mountain of dishes later with a satisfied belly.
Why I love one skillet meals
One pan or one skillet meals like this Italian chicken sausage skillet are some of my favorites because, by default, they save me from myself. And from destroying my kitchen.
They are also usually filled with veggies.
Most of the time my kids like them.
And they’re finished in under 30 minutes.
So, basically they’re unicorn recipes. I linked to more of my favorite one skillet dishes below!
How to make homemade Italian chicken sausage
You can 100% use store bought Italian style sausage for this recipe (most grocery stores will have it)
If you don’t know where to buy Italian chicken sausage or prefer to have more control over the ingredients (I see you) you can simply use ground chicken or ground turkey and add some spices to make your own Italian chicken sausage mix.
I highly recommend using my Homemade Italian Seasoning because it’s different from the herb-only Italian seasoning you find at the grocery store. The bits of dried minced garlic, onions, and red pepper flakes add a little zestiness. Again, if you don’t want to make this spice blend, I included alternate instructions in the recipe notes.
What kind of italian sausage is best?
I like to use sweet Italian chicken sausage — especially the kind at Trader Joe’s since it’s easy to remove from its casings and the flavor is delicious. (I use that kind of ground Italian chicken sausage when I make Zuppa Toscana, too.)
Hot Italian chicken sausage is also good if you’re looking to add some heat.
You could use pork Italian sausage, but since it has a higher fat content, it might make your skillet greasier.
What vegetables are best for this recipe?
Any quick-cooking vegetables that will be crisp tender with about 5 minutes of steaming are best. Here are a few suggestions:
- Broccoli florets
- Sliced bell peppers
- Chopped cabbage
- Brussels sprouts (quartered or sliced thinly)
- Thinly sliced zucchini & yellow squash
- Grean beans
- Cauliflower florets (cut small)
- Shredded carrots
- Shredded sweet potatoes
How to serve this Italian Style Chicken Sausage Skillet?
You can 100% eat this as written in the recipe. I added a few toppings for the photos because I was feeling a little extra.
Here are some suggestions for toppings and sides to zhuzh up this one skillet meal:
- Feta, ricotta, goat cheese or grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
- Marinara sauce
- Toasted pine nuts
- Marinated artichoke hearts
- Chili crunch or red pepper flakes for some heat
- Balsamic glaze
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil & lemon juice
- Salad greens & a light Italian-style vinaigrette over the whole thing
- Rice, quinoa, or farro
- Gluten free pasta
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (I happen to have this on hand when I was testing this recipe and it was REALLY good with it!)
Is this recipe low carb?
Depending on the vegetables you use, yes!
Using starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes will add more carbs.
Grab an extra package of sausage and make one of these other ground Italian chicken sausage recipes!
More recipes using chicken Italian sausage
More one skillet meals
If you like this recipe try another of our one skillet favorites!
If you make one of my recipes, be sure to post it on social media and tag me at @perrysplate or #perrysplate so I can send you some love!
- 1 pound ground Italian chicken sausage
- 2 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
- 1/2 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Desired toppings: Grated parmesan cheese, fresh basil, red pepper flakes
- Bring a very large lidded skillet to high heat. Remove the sausage from its casings (if necessary) and add to skillet. Break the sausage into small pieces, stirring as it browns. Cook until no pink spots remain, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the avocado oil to the pan and continue to cook and crisp up the sausage for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and salt and stir to combine. Pour the red wine vinegar around in the pan, then cover and let it steam for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Remove from heat and add desired toppings. Serve.
- If you can't find Italian chicken sausage, cook 1 pound of ground chicken or turkey with 2 Tablespoons of my Homemade Italian Seasoning. Or 1 Tablespoon regular Italian seasoning + 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion + 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic).
- Feel free to use any quick-cooking vegetable you like here -- ones that will be crisp tender with about 5 minutes of steaming. You should have a generous amount of vegetables -- roughly 7-8 cups. See blog post for more vegetable ideas.
- I really loved this skillet served with a few spoonfuls of my Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. See blog post for more serving ideas.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 210Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 70mgSodium 703mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 19g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made by using these links won’t cost you any extra and helps keep my content free. These links may be Amazon links as I am part of the Amazon Associate Program.