This delicious vegetarian Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup with Butternut Squash is one of my favorite fall soups! It’s warm and cozy this time of year without being too heavy. Stove top and slow cooker instructions included in the recipe card!
I love that this soup has minimal ingredients and there are a few ways to make it — Instant Pot or stove top, roasting (or not roasting) the squash, adding a little creaminess or leaving it as-is. I’ll walk you through them all.
I highly recommend using an immersion blender for this soup.
Do you have one? If you don’t, you can use a countertop blender to get this soup really smooth. Immersion blenders are super convenient and don’t take up a lot of space either.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Carrot Soup Ingredients
All of the ingredients you need for this soup are easy to find!
- Butternut Squash (whole or cubed)
- Yellow Onion
- Fresh Ginger
- Fresh Garlic
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Vegetable Broth or Chicken Broth (if you aren’t needing this to be vegan or vegetarian)
- Olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil
- Lemon juice or lime juice (optional, but tasty!)
Roasted Butternut Squash … or not?
Whether you. make this soup on the stove top, in the Instant Pot or in your Crock Pot, you can choose to roast the squash or not. If you choose not to roast your squash you’ll need to cube your butternut squash or buy it pre-cubed.
If you have a whole butternut squash:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle it with oil. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and put the halves cut-side down on the parchment. Roast for about 20-30 min at 425F or until it’s soft.
If you use cubed butternut squash:
Put them on a parchment lined baking sheet, toss them with oil, and roast for 20 min at 425F. You can add the carrots and onions to this, too, for a more roasty-flavored soup.
How to cook the butternut carrot soup?
On the stovetop
Saute the onion, garlic, & ginger in a large saucepan. Add the roasted (or raw) squash along with the rest of the ingredients and simmer until everything is soft. Then blend and serve!
For Instant Pot
Same as stovetop, using the saute mode at the beginning. When everything is added to your pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Use the quick release after letting it sit for 5-10 minutes so liquid doesn’t splatter out of the steam valve. Blend and serve!
For Slow Cooker
Add all of the ingredients to the cooker, cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours until the squash and carrots are soft. Blend and serve.
Making this delicious soup creamy
Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream, coconut cream, or full-fat coconut milk after the soup has been blended.
Adapting this simple soup for special diets
This recipe is paleo-friendly, dairy-free, and gluten-free as written. To make it vegetarian/vegan, make sure to use vegetable stock.
Because butternut squash and carrots are higher in carbohydrates, this soup isn’t low-carb or keto friendly in large quantities — keep that bowl of soup on the small side.
What to serve with this Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup
Crusty bread would be my first choice.
Something spicy would be nice — like some red pepper flakes, a pinch of cayenne pepper, or a squirt of sriracha.
You could add some protein to this soup by adding a can of drained chickpeas or some cooked red lentils (for a vegan option) or some leftover roasted/grilled chicken or steak.
Pull this recipe out on a cold day and let me know what you think!
If you like this recipe, try another one of my blended Butternut Squash Soup Recipes!
More Butternut Squash Soup Recipes on Perry’s Plate
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 cups carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth [use vegetable broth, if vegetarian]
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To prepare baking sheet, cover with parchment and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil; set aside.
- Cut your butternut squash in half; remove the seeds and place cut side down on prepared baking sheet. Bake until squash is tender and nicely browned, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and until cool enough to handle, peel the skin of the butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and then into cubes.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add ginger and garlic and cook for one minute. Add squash, carrots, chicken broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high, bringing to a boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes or until the carrots are soft. Remove the pot from heat and let cool slightly before pureeing with an immersion blender or in batches with a blender.
- Season with salt + pepper and addiitonal citrus juice, to taste If desired. Serve immediate or store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
- INSTANT POT: Same as stovetop, using the saute mode at the beginning. When everything is added to your pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Use the quick release after letting it sit for 5-10 minutes so liquid doesn't splatter out of the steam valve. Blend and serve!
- SLOW COOKER: I recommend using raw squash cubes to make this method easier. Add all of the ingredients to the cooker, cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours until the squash and carrots are soft. Blend and serve.
- If you'd rather not roast a whole squash, you can roast pre-cubed squash or just use raw squash cubes where it says to add the squash to the soup in the recipe.
- To add some creaminess, stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream, coconut cream, or creamy coconut milk after the soup has been blended.
This recipe has been lightly adapted from the former blogger Lisa Thiele.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crock-Pot 7-Quart Oval Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCV700-S-BR)
Microplane 45000 Gourmet Series Coarse Cheese Grater, 18/8, Silver
Mueller Austria Ultra-Stick 500 Watt 9-Speed Immersion Multi-Purpose Hand Blender
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 134Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 282mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 4g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.