Crunchy Vegetable Salad with Mexican Mango Dressing
Some of our Bay Area chiro school friends are visiting us for the weekend! I like having company. If we’re having company within 3 weeks of my due date, I’m glad they are friends that I like a lot because they probably won’t mind if I sit around a lot. (I’ll keep the complaints to a minimum, though.)
What are your plans? Do they involve a BBQ grill? Salads that will be sitting in the sun? If so, you should really give this one a try.
(It won’t give you salmonella. Oh, and it’s the bomb, too.)
You can put whatever you like in this salad — it’s that versatile. I wouldn’t mess with the dressing, though. Despite its smoothie-like appearance, its sweet-spicy flavor really completes the salad. I added some feta crumbles and thought it added a nice, salty bite, but feel free to use Mexican cotija cheese or leave it out completely.
- For the salad:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked beans (any kind you like, 1 can)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 1/2 an English cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 large jicama root (or any other crunchy vegetable)
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Sliced avocado & lime wedges (for serving, if desired)
- For the dressing:
- 1 large, ripe mango
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 large green onions, with tops
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (substitute 1/4 tsp. ground chipotle powder or use your favorite chili spice)
To make the dressing: Peel mango and place in a food processor or blender with all other dressing ingredients. Blend on high until uniform and creamy. It will look like a smoothie. Add a pinch or two of salt, if needed. To make the salad: Place beans and vegetables in a large bowl. Pour dressing over the top. The salad should be moist, but not gloppy. If you feel there's too much dressing, add more vegetables and/or beans. Sprinkle feta over the top. Serve with sliced avocado and lime wedges on the side.
I hope those who fell in combat or lost loved ones will feel our thoughts and prayers this weekend! (It’s not just about grilling and parties :))