School Lunch Ideas + Peaches & Cream Crumble Bars

This year I sent my oldest child, Sophie, to Kindergarten. I had heard it was traumatizing and that my husband should get the day off of work in order to console my broken heart. My 3-year-old also started preschool the same day. I was supposed to be doomed.

Reality: I was teary-eyed as I watched my smart, fiercely independent first-born walk into her class.  A tear or two were shed on the walk home, then I dropped off my sweet, spunky 3-year-old off to preschool. I moped around the house with my baby for about a half hour, put her down for a nap, then realized…

I WAS ALL ALONE.

All feelings of abandonment left, and I took the longest shower I’d taken in weeks. I may or may not have been giddy.

Needless to say, school’s working out nicely for everyone. :) Because Kindergarten is all-day I started packing lunches for the first time. It’s been a learning experience, for sure. Some things have worked out, and some things leave a mess at the bottom of her bag. I’ve started keeping track of her lunches on Facebook instead of posting everything here.

Check out the school lunch photo album on the Perry’s Plate Facebook Page!

The reaction I’ve been getting is great. I’ve gotten comments from a few of you saying you’d want to eat that lunch yourself! While I understand what you mean, I had this little voice in my head that asked, “Why would I give my kids things to eat that I didn’t like myself?” The lunches my daughter takes to school are things she would eat if she was at home. We don’t have kid food & adult food here. We just have food!

Another thing I wanted to show you was this loveliness…

This may be the first time peaches have graced my blog. I hate peaches. They smell weird. The taste makes my glands jump around in my jaw, and the texture makes me shiver.

Get the recipe for these Peaches & Cream Crumble Bars over on the Tasty Kitchen Blog, and find out why I would even make such a thing.

8 Responses to “School Lunch Ideas + Peaches & Cream Crumble Bars”

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — September 21, 2012 @ 7:28 am

I love this post! I also sent my oldest to Kindergarten this year. . it was an emotional but very happy day for me too. . and hello?! PEACHES? I love them! and am so glad you made this! :)

The Life of Clare — September 21, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

This is a great post! I can’t relate with the dropping kids off (I have none) but I’m the one at the other end. I always to think up fun, healthy snacks to take to school so that I don’t get bored!

Paula B. — September 21, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

Well, glad to hear that sending two off to school went well for mom! And the peach recipe, oh my! Came via PW’s Tasty Kitchen, just wanted to say how much I am wanting to try this, thanks for the recipe.

• Natalie replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 12:00 am

Thanks for coming over from TK! I love new TK friends… such a great website :)

Jodi — September 21, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

I need lunch ideas for my husband! He, and I quote him, is “too lazy to make a lunch”…so if there aren’t leftovers, he’ll eat nothing, not eat enough, or insist on having backup food (like cup of noodles or chef boyardee- gah!!!). I’ve just accepted that if he is going to eat, and eat well, it’s up to me. I will have to check out your ideas.

Laura O — September 22, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

Keep your chin up in the lunch packing department. I’ve been packing school lunches for 18 years already! The thrill wears off after the first 6 months!

Pink peppercorn and paprika — September 24, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Growing up I always appreciated having homemade lunches made by my mom everyday. They always looked so much tastier than whatever was being served in the cafeteria that day. And even though I often got weird looks when I pulled out a hummus sandwich with sprouts, it made me much more open to trying new and healthy foods later in life. So yay for homemade school lunches!!

• Natalie replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 12:00 am

Thank you!! I recently heard of a friend who’s daughter who was made fun of because of her healthy lunch. It made my heart so sad (and I wanted to give that kid’s parents a piece of my mind). You give me hope! Thank you!